“And love consists in this: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God remains in us, and His love is perfected in us.” (John 4:10-12)
You can learn so much in this life. This entire world is a spectacular school full of friends, experiences, books, animals, nature and so many other things to learn from. My own learning has come in a million different moments and in thousands of different ways. Here are only a few of the many things I have learned in this life:
* Forgiveness is the best revenge.
* Petting a dog will lower your blood pressure and lift your smile.
* No television screen can ever match watching a sunset.
* Petting a purring cat is a peaceful way to pass the time.
* Smiles are like boomerangs. Whenever you throw one of them out there it comes right back to you.
* No handshake can ever take the place of a hug.
* Wisdom comes in all shapes, all sizes, and all ages.
* A disabled mind doesn’t mean a disabled spirit.
* No matter what the question, Love is the answer.
* A good book should uplift your soul not kill your time.
* The best music brings the best joy.
* Christmas isn’t about presents. It is about loving each other as Christ loved us.
Prayer should be less about asking of God and more about thanking God and connecting to God. The handicapped can teach us more about unconditional love than any book, any lesson, or any lecture.
I have also learned that all we ever really want is to be happy. The rest is just a means to that end. I have learned that God loves us whether we deserve it or not. I have learned that we can love too. We can love God with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength. We can love ourselves. And we can love everyone as ourselves. I have learned that when we do love we will have JOY. All of that happiness we seek in other ways can be ours if we just choose to love. I have learned too that no matter what life throws at us we can keep growing, keep loving, and keep learning. God wants us to learn and God wants us to love on Earth and later in Heaven.
By: Joseph J. Mazzella