My five-year-old grandson pulled out a tiny, worn out sleigh--a tree
decoration from the box we brought in from the garage. "This is a cool
one," he said, "but it's missing something."
"Sorry," I said to him and his 7-year-old sister. "Nana didn't buy you any pretty tree decorations."
"That's okay," my granddaughter said with tenderness in her voice, "you give us enough stuff. You tell us stories about Jesus; you do plays with us and teach us so many things."
My heart did a back flip. Her words carried the best Christmas gift for this blind Nana. And quicker than you can say manger, my mind raced to find another memorable lesson for their hungry minds.
The obvious popped out--God's display of His love in the decorations we place in the tree of our life. The adornments that come in each of God's promises that make our life shimmer with hope. Like the picture you see here, these are the ones that sparkle the brightest:
1. God will give us rest. "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."
2. We declare His protection. "I will say of the LORD, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'"
3. His shield from the harm that threatens us is present. "Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence."
4. His shelter is all we need. "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."
5. Fear will not invade during night or day. "You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday."
6. Even when the world trembles, His hand upholds us. "A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you." (All passages are from Psalm 91:1-7.)
Father, my tree will look different this year, displaying who you are, what you promise, and what you provide. I praise you for the shimmer your Word gives to my Christmas. In Jesus's name, amen.
* Where will your peace come from this Christmas?
* What decorates your life lately?
* How will you make your Christmas shine this year?
Janet Perez Eckles